Thursday 10 May 2012

Warung Satay & Cafe Mak Long

Yesterday i was feeling more tired then usual, and knowing that i had to read the news that night put me off cooking completely. We decided to go to Mak Long's (my husband confidently called it Mak Ngah) which is a kampung house turned restaurant located on Old Klang Road. I was excited for satay as we had seen the man bbq-ing skewers of it by the house and decided to order it as an appetizer. Bad mistake. This filled me up too much that i only managed to down 10% of my rice.


We only ordered chicken satay with nasi impit. I found the satay to be a good balance of fatty skin and juicy meat but the peanut sauce was mediocre. It was increadilbily sweet to the point of tasting almost dessert- like and lacked spiciness which made it almost cloying to eat. It was also very diluted.


For mains i had Nasi goreng USA- something i had almost on a daily basis back in my uni days. I asked for the nasi goreng to be spicy and my sunny side up egg to be runny. The rice came looking  a little promising compared to hubsters pale looking rice but it was anything but spicy. My 3 year old niece would have been able to eat it without breaking a sweat. The daging merah that it came with fared better.






Hubsters Nasi goreng padprik was just okay but his pale rice was tasteless. I also ordered the ice kacang which came with plenty of condiments i didnt like. I dont like the jelly like thingies that more often then not lacked flavour, and i also didnt like that they added crystalized nutmeg to it. I did however like the red bean paste that tasted home made. It was a tad sweet but i asked for extra ice to be added and that fixed it.






Service here has its ups and downs. The satay came pretty quickly and our food came 20 minutes upon arrival which was acceptable. But i noticed some tables where the diners had finished their meals before some dishes arrived.




Overall the food at Mak Long has its hit and misses. I would go back for the satay- sans sauce and would probably try other dishes if im too lazy to cook again. But i wont order nasi grg USA again. Tonight is leftover night so again- im not cooking! :D


Warong Satay Mak Long
Tel: 012-2434866
Located along Jalan Puchong (Batu 6) after turning in from Old Klang Road.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Like