Monday 7 May 2012

Nasi Ambang- Pasar Malam Taman Tun

While we were at the park with na over the weekend, mama called and sed she was at the tmn tun pasar malam and asked if i wanted anything. I told her i wanted nasi ambang. I had it once a couple of months ago and loved it. I had it again 2months into my pregnancy (this time from another vendor) and almost threw up. The fried chicken that came with it was too heavy on the corriander seeds and till now- i cannot stand anything with corriander seeds in it. But the one from the tmn tun night market is great.


Nasi Ambang is a javanese dish and is basically white rice wrapped or served in banana leaf and is eaten with coconut serunding, indonesian sambal goreng with tempe, fried noodles and most times a meat dish- i had it with fried chicken. There was also a bit of sambal belacan on the side but i suspect this is just a Malaysian addition. Each accompaniment tastes bland on its on- but together they create such a delicious medley of flavours.


This rice is normally served at kenduri's. It will be laid out on layers of banana leaves in a huge round tray and 4/5 people will share this meal togather, in the same tray, with their hands. I find this a little... unhygenic? Ok fine i think its downright gross but u have the option of actually packing it inside the banana leaf to be enjoyed at home. This dish is best eaten with the hands and a little bit of everything goes into one bite.


My brother called while they were there and was being very tactful in explaining to me that the nasi ambang stall wasnt open. He was being all gentle because he was afraid i might burst into tears if i didnt get my nasi ambang. Read this to get a better understanding of why my family walk on eggshells when it comes to me and food.


Turns out- they WERE open! They were just so swarmed with people (so you KNOW they're good) that mom didnt see them! So i did get my rice and they were saved from having to deal with any mama drama's- this time anyway :)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Like