Sunday 20 May 2012

Coffee Cupcakes

So i've been mulling over what to write for days, since i had promised to do a review on my own cooking. Thing is- the only thing that ive cooked so far since we started this blog has been mundane everyday cooking and the only photos i have are of crunchy fried anchovies with onions n potato and beef masak kicap- which are hardly worth blogging about.

But two nights ago, I woke up at 3am with one thing on my mind- coffee cupcakes. I could practically taste it at the back of my throat but at 3 im the morning there was nothing i could or wanted to do about it. Problem was, I only wanted ones that I made. And since we were doing nothing sunday, I thought why not make it today!

And voila!! Coffee cupcakes with coffee buttercream frosting!! I have never been a fan of coffee- in fact drinking it gives me migrain. But i tried making these once about 2 years back and have been in love with it ever since- not coffee, just these cupcakes. But since getting married I've been baking less and less coz hubs isnt a fan of sweet bakes. Whenever I do bake, I share my bounty with the guard downstairs :)

These cupcakes are moist and fluffy and delish!! I've used this recipe to make vanilla, butterscotch and coffee cupcakes so far and they've all turned out awesome. I got this recipe off my sister. I think its from Peggy Porschen.

Here are the ingredients you need.


1 1/2 cups of flour (ive used multipurpose to cheap ol' wheat four- it works with anything)
1/2 tsp salt
2 tbsp baking poweder
1/2 cup butter
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
3/4 cups milk
Vanilla essence
1 1/2 tsp of instant coffee diluted with warm water


1. Cream butter till fluffy, then add sugar.
- For ameteur bakers, by fluffy i mean till the butter turns a very light creamy yellow.

2. Add eggs bit by bit then add vanilla and coffee essence.
- Make sure eggs are at room temperature or risk having you batter split. Add them bit by bit in 4 batches at 30 second intervals.

3. Add flour slowly one tbsp at a time then add milk. (also at room temperature)
- Most recipes will ask you to sift the flour but im to lazy busy to bother and the cakes still turn out fine.

4. Bake them at 170 - 180 degrees (depending on your oven) for about 15 minutes or till it looks a promising shade of brown
- do the skewer test and if it comes out clean its done. I normally take it out as soon as its done coz i like them super moist.


Coffee frosting

250g butter
500 g icing sugar
1 tsp of instant coffee diluted with warm water. Throw all of these together into the mixer and blitz them at hi speed till it doubles in size. For normal vanilla frosting- just replace the coffee with vanilla essence.
                                                                                                                                                

Dont forget to cast your votes so we can pick where to go for our next review!

Our next review will be on Thai Sabye Sabye where we celebrated mothers day last week! Yum yumm!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Like