Sunday 24 June 2012

Borneo Babymoon - Day 1


Hey all!! Sorry for the long hiatus. I wanted to post updates many times then i just got lazy much to hubs' dismay. He tried coaxing me into updating a couple of times but it didnt work so he gave up after a while. Anyhooo!! We came back from our awesome babymoon trip to Sabah lastnight. Most people dont know that i was born there, we moved back here when i was a year old and ive never been back since. So this trip was sort of like a bittersweet homecoming for me. Being hormonal, i actually teared up as we landed.


We stayed 2 nights at KK town and another night at Kundasang. I am eternally in love with Sutera Harbour Hotel where we stayed. We seriously want to go there again just to stay at the hotel- it is THAT awesome. Ill split this post into 3 parts as it's going to be quite lengthy.



Our hotel has its own marina and was super beautiful. We got a room facing the marina and the sea and i could just stare out the window for hours and hours on end. Our only gripe was the tv channels they provided. It didnt even have TV3 and no football channel. Considering its the football season i thought this was unjustified. Hubs was gonna leave me sleeping alone or drag me down (depending on my preference) and go catch the game at the sports bar downstairs. Thankfully, he was too sleepy to get up at 230 in the morning. Of course, me 'dodoi-ing' him back to slumber didnt help.

To fully explore the beauty of Sabah, one would need to be there about 2- 3 weeks as most attractions are spread far and wide. Of course we did not have the luxury of that. So in the 3 days that we had- we only managed to see the tip of the iceberg.



On the day we arrived, we took the hotel shuttle to Sabah Centre Point which is and old old mall (think Sg Wang/ Pertama Complex old) to grab lunch. The food court was under renovation and was sans floor. The tiles had been ripped off so it looks like ur eating at a construction site. I was famished by then so I didnt really care much for the ambiance. I was surprised to see that the chicken rice costs RM2.80 after hearing so much talk about how food costs a bomb here. I ordered the rice and a beef noodle for RM5. The rice turned out to be ordinary tasting but at RM2.80 it tasted above its price tag. The noodles however were awesome!! I have an obsession with noodles and this one made me really happy. The beef that it came with was perfectly cooked for hours till it was flaky and practically melted in my mouth. And hello?? Its 5 bucksss!! We went back for this on our last day and this morning i kicked myself for not 'tapau-ing' some home. The noodles are called kon lau mee daging or Tuaran mee.



We went to the waterfront to catch the sunset which is spose to be awesomely beautiful and swung by the Phillipine Market afterwards. The sunset, while gorgeous, could have done with better seating. We didnt go to the short strip of restaurants as they consisted of mainly bars and chinese eateries so we sat on some abandoned pipes and watched some local kids play on the dirty beach while the sun set. The restaurants claimed to be halal but i lost confidence after i saw 'buddha jumps over the wall' on the menu.




We had some fresh big prawns and huge squids at the market and it wasnt very good. The only saving grace was that the seafood was fresh but I got turned off by how dirty the place was. I did have a great time trying a bit of everything tho. However i gotta say, people here arent very friendly towards us Peninsula people (orang semenanjung). Their smiles turn into frowns when they hear our accent.


For some reason chicken wings are a big deal here. We tried some and it tasted nothing out of the ordinary. Hubs bought a chicken murtabak in case he got hungry later and it was quite good. It was deep fried as opposed to pan fried and was filled with fresh vegetables and eggs with mediocre amount of chicken meat instead of our normal meat and eggs filling.


I also filled up on avocado juice- my fav! Avocadoes here are really cheap as it is grown locally. In KL they normally cost me 5-6 ringgit each. I bought 2 kg's to bring home at only 13 ringgit.



We ended our 1st night in Borneo lounging by the hotel beach (hubs) and running around burning dinner by catching baby crabs (me). The beach was pretty small and private just how i like it. The picture above is of my footprints in the sand running zig zag trying to catch them crabs.

Ive got so much more to tell!! Will do so in the coming week! Toodloo!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Like